What documents are needed for renting a house?

  1. A photocopy of passport (of the page with your photo and all personal information as well as the page listing your emergency contact information.)
  2. Photocopy of Alien Resident Certificate(ARC).
  3. A photocopy of the certification for your work permit, and the contact information of the company and the company executive of your Taiwanese employer.
  4. Foreigners currently not working in Taiwan will need to sign a contract and provide information for a Taiwanese Cosigner.
  5. Both Chinese-English versions of Tenancy Agreement.

The process of renting a house?

  • First determine the area you want to live in and find a house in that area.
  • Determine the size and type of house you wish to rent.
  • Search real estate web pages, or visit a local real estate company to find your favorite house.
  • Bring the required documents, sign the lease and pay the deposit.

What do renters need to pay attention to?

  • You are advised to compare different websites, agency fees, and cost for rents according to the type of housing you prefer.
  • You are advised to personally visit a potential rental unit to ensure the property and its surroundings to make sure there are no discrepancies with your expectations.
  • According to Article 99 of the Land Act, the deposit paid for renting a house should not exceed 2 months’ rent of the unit.
  • You are advised to read all the fine lines to the provisions of the agreement before signing the rental agreement with the landlord.
  • When signing a contract, if a signature is used instead of a personal seal/official stamp, the signature must be the same as on one’s passport.